NITREM Essential is a system solution specially developed for businesses within the mining industry and for landowners.
NITREM Essential reduces the amount of nitrate in leachate from mining and quarrying operations in a sustainable, economical and flexible way such that the solution requires very little maintenance.
NITREM Essential consists of a bioreactor, i.e. an oblong pit covered with a water-tight geomembrane and filled with pine woodchips.
The bioreactor is an oblong pit covered with a water-tight geomembrane and filled with pine woodchips. The leachate that leaves the rock pile flows through a water collection system and is directed toward one of the short sides of the bioreactor. The water flows through the pine woodchips where denitrification occurs and denitrifying microorganisms convert the nitrate in the water to harmless nitrogen gas.
The large amount of organic matter available in the bioreactor serves as a carbon and energy source for microorganisms. The water that leaves the bioreactor has a greatly reduced nitrate concentration.
To optimize the function of the bioreactor, the flow rate and water quality needs to be monitored. With NITREM Essential, monitoring is included.
The following is included in NITREM Essential:
- Identification of the customer’s specific needs with a water collection system and bioreactor, including measurement of flow and nitrogen levels and a general hydrogeological investigation (Desktop analysis).
- Cost estimate for design and construction of water collection system and bioreactor.
- Delivery of drawings for water collection system and bioreactor based on existing measurements.
- Telephone support during construction as well as during the first year of operation.
- Help with procurement of contractor.
- Sampling and system monitoring.